Thursday, August 01, 2024

Big Plan Books

 

When I was a child I loved gigantic books. Coffee table books weren’t a thing where I grew up, so anytime I found myself faced with a giant book on a coffee table I was impressed by how fancy this home was. My uncle used to give me some money just to see what I’d buy, and he was particularly pleased with the purchase of Vasari’s Great Masters. I was pleased because it was huge with great pictures and lots to read.

Homeschooling provided an excuse for buying more giant books, like world atlases, science omnibuses, and more art. I used to worry that I’d wasted money, but I recently looked them up. The spines are destroyed. They were getting read even if I wasn’t seeing it. 

I intend to spend significant time with my grandchildren, enough to need planning which is so fun. I’ve bought books (Cousin Camp, Camp Granny) and I’m doing lots of day dreaming. I’ve decided to incorporate a “Big Book Time” into longer stays. I’ll set a timer for 15 minutes or so and let them choose a giant book from the cram jam on the kid book case to explore. With such a variety it might fill an afternoon.

Here are some titles that’ll be on my shelf.

Hammond World Atlas

Vasari’s Great Masters

America’s Glorious Quilts

Earth by James F. Luhr

Peanuts by Charles Schultz

Christopher Columbus by Consuelo Varela

The Illustrated Treasury of Classic Children’s Stories by Charles Santore


No comments: