Friday, March 01, 2024

Greg Cohen: Muggle Wonka


 I’ve watched and watched Greg make his image candy, and it amazes me every time. Starting with a boiling cauldron of death sugar, he adds colors and flavorings, and then works it to the right consistency and temperature. Using giant, metal scissors he cuts apart the mass and then fashions the parts into a cylinder. The cylinder gets pulled smaller and smaller into rods which are then broken into pieces. Inside each piece is an image, roses, flags, Frankenstein. 

He also makes other forms of candy as well using antique machinery he has restored himself. Watching that happen is fascinating and fun, especially when he drops the sheets at the end and they fall into individual pieces. 

If I’m ever in Tallahassee, I’m stopping in at Public Displays of Confection, and I hope I catch Greg making magic.

https://www.youtube.com/@LoftyPursuits

No comments: