Thursday, March 14, 2024

Uzzein Sheerah



Well I remember the way my mother laughed when I asked her to give me an afro. The beautiful ball of hair that framed women’s faces captivated me, but alas my hair was coarse, thick and stick-straight. More quietly I began to nurse other hair dreams that also proved unrealistic, the most persistent of which was Shera hair. I didn’t really like the cartoons, but the flowy hair surrounding her face and trailing behind her seemed a reachable goal. Yet again my stick-straight hair would defeat me. It hung like a heavy curtain on either side of my face. It flowed nowhere. I would pin it up with barrettes. For a few minutes after I removed them there I’d be with Shera hair, but only long enough to ruefully watch them flop down on either side of my face again.

With age comes lots of surprises. I couldn’t find anyone to cut my mom bob when I moved to Saline. Butchered hair cut after butchered hair cut finally led to just letting it grow. The thing is I’m going grey, but more than the color has changed, my new hair is finer and wavy. It’s Shera hair! All these years and now here at the beginning of the end Shera hair.

Sheerah is a little known Bible character. A woman who during the settlement of Caanan built three cities. There are no complaints or aspersions about her gender just the simple facts of her accomplishments. Her moment is small, but not forgotten. Her cities held up well over time.

If you’d like to know more about this sparkling life from ancient times, here is an inspirational and informative post.

https://www.wilgafney.com/2012/05/20/she-built-a-city-sheerah-the-biblical-city-builder/



No comments: