Thursday, April 13, 2023

Thomas Johnson: Never Too Old to Refinish



 My grandfather was a furniture refinisher for D.C. public schools. If someone scratched their name in a desk it was his job to get it out. He also worked with the special needs school to modify their equipment to be better suited to the student’s needs. He liked wood and he liked making things and I liked to watch.

Thomas Johnson has renewed a happy place.  A master craftsman I watch him and I always think, “ So that’s how you do that.” The furniture comes in broken to varying degrees, from missing ball feet to shattered mirrors, and Tom always knows what to do. It’s reassuring. I don’t think I’ll ever do a lot of furniture repair, but I love watching it. I love seeing something get a second act, especially such a beautiful second act as you get from Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration in Gorham, Maine.


https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasJohnsonAntiqueFurnitureRestoration

No comments: