Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Rule Follower


 


 The PF Express is a thirty minute workout very much like the Curves workout I did for years. It’s more cardio than strength, but more strength than your regular cardio. There are muscle strengthening machines that you are supposed to use at an aerobic pace. In between there are recovery stations. At Curves it was mainly running in place at Planet Fitness the poster indicates more strenuous exercises are advised. I’m doing half an hour of cardio before PF Express, so I am simply and literally sidestepping that issue. Yes, I’m taking an hour to workout. After years of guiltily rushing out for a half hour of me time, I’m enjoying the fact that my kids are busy with their own me time most of the time. I love the variety and constant challenge of a clear and easy routine. It’s like a roller coaster you power yourself.

The only problem with the PF Express is that despite clearly posted rules and a reminder sign people come and disrupt my circle. I don’t mind if people use the machines off book as long as I don’t have to ask them to accommodate me when I’m the one following the rules. The Seated Row machine must be the only one of its kind in the building if you don’t count the five rowing machines I aspire to using someday. People regularly clog up that machine for extended periods. I ask politely and most, but not all, will move aside and let me “play through.” I think the problem could be solved if I could recruit more people to the PF Express experience. I know from years at Curves how fun and social it can be. If more people were following the rules and getting the most from the experience the rules would make sense and compliance would come naturally. In the meantime, could we get a seated row machine elsewhere?

No comments: