Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Eavesdropping

 



I am currently reading the Qur’an. It is full of fascinating material, and I have lots underlined from the last time I read it. I’m reading it for several reasons. I’m writing a history through literature curriculum and I couldn’t see how I could avoid religious texts when you consider their impact throughout history continuing to the present day. I also like to be informed about what other religions offer and require. I like to understand my neighbors a little better.

There are many beautiful parts to the Qur’an as well as terrifying and sad parts. They don’t seem to be particularly enlightened about women, but that’s normal for a text of this age. One of the best things is the chance to eavesdrop when Muhammed talks about my faith, Christianity. To hear that we are not keeping true to the revelation we’ve been given is disheartening when I know how hard I try to be faithful to the deposit of faith. To hear that we have been left behind by God, though we are saved by his mercy seems strange when God is so present to me especially in my faith. I would get upset, but then I pick up the chatter in my community, and we say similar things. We do so because all of us can’t understand why our fellow human beings would choose anything other than the things we have chosen for ourselves. Maybe if we listened a little more and a little longer we’d hear the reasons why.

No comments: