Monday, January 16, 2023

Brooke Whipple, Survivalist


 Survival has long been a fraught issue with me. I like to be the person who is ready for anything, hence the backpack and bag organizing systems. Growing up the world seemed really fragile what with the nuclear bombs and the Apocalypse and all. I made a habit of collecting survival tips, some more valuable than others, such as sucking out snake venom but only if you had perfect teeth. Church camp was the place to get the most information and training, otherwise nature shows and library books filled me in.

I do not camp. My husband is allergic to almost everything, so we stick to places with filtered air. This doesn’t stop me from dreaming. Costco puts out a range of reasonably priced camping gear every Spring, and I dawdle along absorbing the features and that new tent smell.

I was mourning the fact that my little ones are all mostly grown-ups, and I was unlikely to ever get them out in the woods when I discovered Brooke Whipple and a new idea—I could camp alone! (Mom, relax. It’s just an idea.) I didn’t need to take the kids. The joy of planning it alone will be great even if I never go. 

Brooke makes it look so easy. Build a debris shelter. I can do that. Build a fire. I can cheat that. Pack necessary items. I will overdo that. I was a full Whipple head before I realized that she was a star in the world of survivalists having appeared on Alone, twice. I haven’t been able to get her seasons, but from the other seasons I watched this is no joke. And she’s so nice. I have not yet heeded her admonition to “Get outside and get happy,” but it makes me happy to be so admonished.

Get into Brooke and get happy, building shelters, collecting knowledge, and enjoying the scenery.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWcHR3r4UTdEhKn9BUX72Gw



No comments: