Wednesday, May 10, 2023

A Growing Interest

 

I’ve always liked herbs. I used to go into the cupboard where Mother stored her herbs and spices and inhale deeply enjoying all the complicated scents. I started growing them as soon as I reached adulthood and have made herb gardens of varying types and successfulness off and on ever since.

I can tell when an interest of mine is growing by how much of my book budget I’m willing to spend on it, and the resulting chunk of bookshelf the collection takes up. I have a growing interest in herbology. I say “herbology” rather than herbalism because there is a lot of fantasy in my herb books. I haven’t bought much about the plants in the dirt or the tinctures of this and that. I am even including The Complete Language of Flowers which has no information of that kind at all, only folklore and ancient imputed essences. 

I’m watching some YouTube on it. I think I like strongly scented plants. I’m not as interested in food plants or flowers. I’m ok with “ugly” plants if they smell good. I like the idea of being able to make little nosegays based on a friend’s need or situation. I might get into salves and such. I doubt I’ll ever be a true believer, but who knows what will happen between me and the dust.

No comments: