Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Weight of Glory

I am a woman who struggles with avarice when it comes to books. One of my favorite things about Kurt is his complete acceptance of my need for books. One time I was apologizing, yet again, for an expensive trip to the bookstore and he looked at me and said "But you need them." That my friends is how you know you've got a keeper. In any case, I still agonize over book purchases. Could I get this from the library? Will I want to reread it? Is this really important enough to spend book budget on?
Sometime during college, I began to notice a certain nudge from the Holy Spirit when a book wasn't an indulgence, but an important step forward in my growth. I've found that I never regret books purchased after listening to that nudge. On my day off a week or two ago, I picked up the Joy of Cooking and then enjoyed an aimless wander through the shelves at Barnes and Noble. On an end cap was an array of Lewis. I don't have a complete collection of Lewis, much as I would like one, so when the Holy Spirit nudged me to pick up The Weight of Glory I didn't waste any time agonizing. I've been so glad I listened.
First, I found myself struggling to understand the conflicts within my conscience, and then as I was reading my latest acquisition, I came across the surprisingly applicable essay "Why I am not an Atheist." The way he laid out what our conscience is and how we are to use it was tremendously helpful. Second, I was reading Transposition when I suddenly understood a friend's short story in a new and helpful way. Thirdly, sorting through my conscience had led me to my JEPD crisis, and there it was again, my issue in Lewis' collection of essays. Lewis says much the same things about the Old Testament that my new Catholic Bible says. Now that's an opinion I can trust.
It is a surprising thing to hear from the Living God in a quiet nudge, and to find obedience so overwhelmingly repaid. I wish all the little nudges were this easy to discern and obey. I would be a much better person than I am.

1 comment:

Steve Poling said...

Lewis' essay, "the weight of glory" is one of my favorites.

One of the "important ideas" I treasure is that of "the image of God." I read Lewis' essay about 10 years after reading J.I. Packer's book "Knowing God" and I was pleased to see this same idea explored in its divers aspects.

Big Oh Orthodoxy has something when it fixates upon the notion of "incarnation" humanity is like a collection of icons of Christ. We bear the image (and I think of "image" in its mathematical sense of "projection") and what Orthodoxy drives home is the notion that deity isn't just projected onto flesh, but actually comes to inhabit it. It's like the portrait is transformed from reflected-light painting to emitted-light stained glass.

Kudos, Clive Staples.