Friday, December 22, 2023

Sweet and Toothsome

 

A Jewish Christmas of movies and Chinese food has always seemed like a lovely way to spend the day. Movies have always been important to me even when Christian fundamentalism meant they had to be waited for, sometimes waited years for, on TV. I will be enjoying a very Christian Christmas, but if I was going Jewish I’d watch Wonka. 

It has been a while since I enjoyed a musical comedy movie the way I enjoyed Wonka. A prequel to the the beloved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movies it takes us through Willy Wonka’s backstory. The story is charming though not compelling. The characters are nicely drawn and beautifully acted. The sets are glorious, rich with color but not garish. The music is endearing and leaves you humming particularly Scrub Scrub and A Place of Our Own. 

Don’t miss it. Its quiet magic lingers on after you’ve seen it. 

No comments: