Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Planning for Christmas


I had a perfectly lovely family Christmas this year. My father has been working for more than a decade on collecting and repairing antique toy trains for his children and grandchildren along with all the buildings and accessories to make Christmas villages for them to run around in. This was the year he gifted all these things to us. We had such a lovely time setting them up and going through things. We will never forget this Christmas.

We ate our favorite Christmas foods and opened other presents. We read the Christmas story. We prayed Christmas prayers. But I missed Jesus. My kids surprised me this year by decorating the house while I was out shopping. It is beautiful, and sentimental. I love it, but not one of the three creches I own is on display.

I am the only Catholic who goes to mass in our family. I didn’t make it to either mass, and I regret it. I feel like I missed my opportunity to plug into the deeper issues and gifts of Christmas. I won’t let that happen next year. It might take every moment between now and then to get to a more spiritual Christmas, but it matters to me. I will get it done.

No comments: