Monday, February 20, 2023

What the Paczki?


 When we moved to Michigan twenty some years ago, there was an odd but delicious local practice celebrated everywhere around Fat Tuesday. There were donuts, known as Paczki, that came in all kinds of flavors and exterior coatings, lemon to prune, granulated sugar to glazed. When I became a Catholic these annual treats became part of my practice of Fat Tuesday. This year I went out to requisition our annual overload and there were none. There were donuts, but no paczki. Paczki are a special thing that really isn’t offered at other times of year. Fortunately there is a donut shop that celebrates Paczki Day, and I got in line with a lot of other paczki lovers for a real treat. The owners of the shop are Asian, but they do paczki proud. If you can find them, they are worth it. I don’t know why they are dwindling here.

No comments: