Saturday, October 15, 2022

The Flip Side or Appalachian Love

 

The sad tale of the enmity between the Hatfields and McCoys stains the strong bonds forged in Appalachian families and between families. I was the fourth living generation of my family and I was carefully trained to choose my friends wisely because you weren’t only committing yourself to a friendship, you were committing the whole family. When I think about that and the way they let me go and make friends and live that out with all its hits and misses I am amazed. I also wish I could give that experience to my children. I can give them the freedom to go find their own friends, but I can’t give them the umbrella of safety of my friendships nor the ratifying comfort of adopting their friends. Life is different here in the midwest. I can see how the looser bonds have the advantage of not pulling people into terrible feuds, but I think the loss of community to our communities might not be worth it. 

No comments: