Monday, October 24, 2022

Shelby Sherritt


 A couple of years ago I fell in love with You Tube. I don’t know why it took me so long, but here I am anyway. I love my You Tubers, and appreciate the way they share pieces of their lives so freely. The people are almost more interesting than the subject matter. I’m even thinking of creating my own You Tube channel as an outlet for my curriculum projects. I’m almost finished with one and another just needs a lick and a promise as my grandmother used to say. 


https://youtu.be/V4HUYtWjdrY


I’ve decided to feature my You Tube favorites occasionally and Shelby Sherritt just had to be first. She is based in Australia, and has her own ceramics studio. She bought more than a hundred old plaster molds off of something called “gumtree”. It’s always a surprise as to what is going to come out of the mold after she pours out the slip. The diversity keeps you watching. Then she bisque fires them in preparation for painting. You never know how she is going to decorate them which is another layer of surprise. Then they are glazed and fired and we either “ooh” and “ahhh” or wince. Even the less successful still have a certain charm, and off we go to the next one. Shelby is a pleasure to watch and listen to. You feel like you’re propped up on a stool painting away with her. It’s all very relaxing. Look her up.



No comments: