Monday, May 17, 2010

Why I Love Oprah


I knew about Oprah before almost all of you. I grew up in Maryland and my grandmother loved her show out of Baltimore. We watched it because it was so obvious that Oprah was better than her co-host and she was just great tv. I don't think that alone would have made me a permanent fan. It was the way she was so concerned about the person in front of her. The moment I decided to back Oprah came the day a bridal store was giving away free formal wear to a couple the station had chosen. I can't remember the details. What I remember is that someone who hated Oprah put her in the ugliest ruched dress I've ever seen. If there could be a worse dress that that one especially on Oprah's body at that time, I don't know what it would be. You could see the discomfort in her face. She was doing everything she could to get off camera. When she succeeded, her co-host began to point out flaws in the wedding gown and bridesmaids dresses. He was having such an off day and the bride began to freak out. She was on the verge of tears when Oprah came charging back forgetful of that horrid dress and busy trying to rescue the bride from a total tv meltdown. That's when I became a life-long Oprah fan. She cares about the person in front of her.

No comments: