Saturday, May 08, 2010

Mariah, Come Home!

As a child, I was a huge Strawberry Shortcake fan. It was one of the few things my sister and I could enjoy together despite the five year age gap. To be perfectly candid I was more of a Blueberry Muffin fan. She has long blond hair and blue eyes like me, and she wore a very cool muffin paper for a hat. Marked on the calendar was a Strawberry Shortcake TV special that Karen and I couldn't wait to see. I knew Strawberry would steal the show as always, but Blueberry would get some time in. The day arrived and I don't remember if Blueberry Muffin was in it at all as a new friend was been introduced--Orange Blossom. She was smart and beautiful and Strawberry Shortcake would have been in the soup without her. She was also African-American. There were no Orange Blossoms in my life.
My daughter has had better luck. Right around the corner lives a smart and beautiful girl who's been a wonderful friend. When all the Blueberry Muffins were too busy, Mariah filled in. Recently she ran away. My daughter is wearing her hand-me-downs as we wait and hope together that Mariah will hurry home.

No comments: