Thursday, August 14, 2008

Live-in Library

The start of school sends me checking around the house for appropriate books. I know that certain subjects or authors have taken hold when books begin migrating. Recently we counted them up and we have 15 bookcases. The only rooms without books are the kitchen and dining room, and, well, you know.
This time I'm on the hunt for books about the medieval period that are appropriate for our ten year old. So far I have The Imitation of Christ, Ivanhoe, Robin Hood, King Arthur and His Knights. I'm debating using the Chronicles of Narnia and The Once and Future King. Tales from Shakespeare keeps trying to sneak in. I might use it and then reuse it next year to double up William's impact.
The other subject I was trying to find books for is chemistry and I've had little luck. Even the chemistry section in the childrens' wing of our local library is limited. The good news is that NOEO Science is based on reading books, so they had us buy a bunch. They look interesting. I just hope they can get us motivated to memorize the Periodic Table.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

My daughter, Nadia, is only 7 weeks old and she already has quite a book collection as I love buying books for her! Both of her parents love to read so hopefully she will as well some day.

Has your son read The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman or The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman or Catherine, Called Birdy (also by Cushman) or The Door in the Wall or Adam of the Road? Those are a few that come to my mind.