Sunday, August 20, 2006

Uniform Solution

When you put the words "sturdy", "attractive" and "cheap" in the advertising for clothing you have my attention. After all I have five kids who eat clothes--that's only a metaphor for three of them. I got the idea last year to have the girls wear uniforms while we did school, and it was so great! They got up and they put on their uniform. I bought them several options of blouses and various jumper, pant, skort combinations, but the basic colors and details tied us together as a unit. Our class time had a certain respect that had been lacking. Putting on your comfortable clothes was a sign that you had finished your work. Clothing lasted longer, and looked better.
So, we're doing it again this year. We went on a treasure hunt for all the various pieces of last year's wardrobe. Everyone had grown. We had to throw out a few blouses that Iris had, well, eaten. But even so, we are more than halfway outfitted for this year. I've got to order a few items for the oldest and for the fourth who is just young enough to be too short to inherit the third's stuff.
If you homeschool and have a large family, I recommend the uniform solution. I've been very pleased. We use French Toast. They are inexpensive, and the clothes do hold up. I've not always gotten the best service, but eventually they do make things right if they go wrong. Uniforms, who knew? They really work for us.

No comments: