Sunday, August 13, 2006

Thank you, I. M. Pei

I find the first fruits of the oft promised convergence so promising. The ability to go online and find books from my library, movies from netflix, and all kinds of cultural information is so rich. The idea that someday, hopefully in my lifetime, I will be able to find anything I want on the internet--probably on some handheld device that works wherever I happen to be--is one of the best and happiest parts of the future. When I was growing up, culture was limited to the local library's collection of books, the dedicated efforts of my teachers, and some lengthy and expensive trips to Washington D.C. and Baltimore.
Today, thanks to netflix, I watched a documentary on the work of I.M. Pei. I have admired I. M. Pei since I stepped into the East wing of the National Gallery of Art. When they got to that part of his resume, I was amazed to see him tearing up at the abundance of young people crowding the museum. He had been designing the project at the same time that the Museum of Air and Space was going up, and he was trying to compete for young people's attention. I teared up too, because his decidedly modern architecture was one of the first experiences that inspired me to accept modern art instead of eschewing it as my little subculture routinely did. I found the building so alive that it was itself a rival for my attention. I love the West Wing, but the architecture said little to me except that it was very expensive. I happily ignored it and enjoyed the galleries. My parents didn't take me into the East Wing. I discovered it on one of my teenage trips to the mall. I was mesmerized, and I had a strong feeling of homecoming.
What a pleasure this age of information is! I can feel a connection to a person I will never meet, but that has profoundly influenced my life. Because he was willing to share his ideas and himself, his work has taken on another dimension for me. I've seen his buildings around the world; buildings that I'll probably never see in person. I've had the opportunity to hear him express what it means to be creative, and to discover that he meant to draw me into art. The well-laid trap was well-intentioned. I hope it sets others free as it has set me free. Thank you, Mr. Pei. I noticed, and I'm grateful.

No comments: