Thursday, May 25, 2006

Writing with the Neighbors

I spent a good chunk of last night addressing post cards. Vista Print came through again and let me print up 50 gorgeous, full-color postcards for free. I love Vista Print. The postcards are invites to writing seminars I'm offering this summer for kids and adults. I'm so excited. I've been planning since March. I'll be alternating between creative and expository writing so as to discover the largest number of writers in my neighborhood pool. I'm also offering seminars for the kids. I love teaching kids how to write. Kids are so creative and uninhibited. I did a little newspaper with the kids in my last neighborhood, but here I wanted to be more creative. Journalism is fun, but the whole idea is to teach them to write objectively. Fancy isn't encouraged in journalistic circles.
For a sneak peak at the schedule and curriculum look here. I admit it's ambitious, but I'm eager to begin building relationships with my neighbors, and I thought starting with the writers would be a natural fit for me. We are also over-loaded with kids, and I'm hoping that my children will expand their circle of friends through these seminars. I'll keep you posted. Invites are going out June 1st. If you live in my neighborhood keep your eyes peeled. If you don't, well, I'm sorry. Maybe I'll expand next summer.
Have a great day, and take some time to think about how you can expand your own circle of friends. It doesn't have to be a big ambitious project; you could just join someone else's great idea. Leaders need followers. Maybe you could get your family to set up a family blog. I've got to give blogspot major kudos. Not only have I begun to get really comfortable letting people read my work, I'm using it as a way to connect with others. This is an invaluable tool for those of us who love to work with words. Thanks Blogger for widening my world in a way that makes me feel safe and productive.

No comments: