Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day

Continuing the theme of Living vs. Art. I let Memorial Day go totally unplanned, and it was wonderful. My parents came over, and my father took my husband out for a round of golf. While they were gone, mother and I had time for a very helpful chat. When they returned I threw dinner on the grill--corn on the cob, soaked and wrapped in foil and one of those ready-marinated pork loins. A little futzing with the world's easiest pasta salad (Tri-color rotini, cherry tomatoes, cucumber chunks, carrot shards and ranch dressing) and the meal was complete. The pork loin caught on fire, consuming what little fat it had managed to hang on to, and the meal took a half-hour longer to hit the table than anticipated, but no one cared. The corn was absolutely perfect with an appetite rousing odor that brought the summer immediately to life. Even the blackened pork roast was juicy and very flavorful. After, we headed to the backyard to swing in the hammock or rock in the rockers. The air was warm but not sultry and the light was at it's most charming. The children made flower wreaths and turned Nanny's hammock into a bower. All the living creatures that share our yard with us seemed to forget we were there and let us watch their evening play. This is going to be a wonderful summer, and I haven't put a lick of work into it yet.

No comments: