Monday, March 27, 2006

The Father of My Children

He slammed into study hall with the focus of a missile. Deftly, he grabbed the chair in front of his unquestioned desk and flipped it around to accomodate his size 15 feet. He dropped a nearly destroyed hockey bag over the side and retrieved a paperback novel that was required reading for Sophomores. Without a word or a glance for anyone or anything else in the room he began to read. All around him kids threw planes, drew pictures, gossiped and goofed off, but he was in a world apart.
"Who is that?" I immediately inquired of the only girl who was speaking to me that first day. She wasted my time with a lot of idle gossip that indicated nobody really knew. I kept watching him as he sped through the chapter that was all he had left of his homework. His hair was obviously cut by a military barber. He was absolutely outside of peer pressure in every way. When he finished reading his book, he pitched it into the bag zipped it closed and applied for a pass to the library with the precision of a dress parade. From that moment on if he was in view I was watching him. I'm still watching him. I'm still enjoying the show.

No comments: