Friday, March 31, 2006

Anastomoses for Homeschoolers

We're studying human anatomy and physiology in science this year (see An Ode to the Dung Mill). Circulatory anstomoses has been one of the most intriguing things I've discovered. The circulatory system has redundant blood sources for important organs like the heart so that if one source is blocked the organ can continue to function. Ensuring that the kids get a thorough education has been an important concern for me. I'm flighty and I tend to like to eat dessert first when it comes to school work. I was concerned that if the curriculum were left entirely up to me they'd be brilliant at science and writing and not much else. I also felt that it was important that they have the opportunity to develop independant learning skills, particularly the necessary self-discipline to continue an educational project on their own. I built our homeschool system with curricular anastomoses.
Our homeschooling day is divided into two parts affectionately known as "loud school" and "quiet school." We begin the day with loud school which is the parts of the curriculum that I contribute. This year that includes a Bible lesson, early American history, human anatomy, grammar and composition, phonics, and occasionally some drill on math facts (Math is a pronounced weakness of the current curriculum, next year I'm going to work a little Saxon into the mix.) This part of our day is full of activity and discussion, experiments and serendipity. I love being together doing interesting things. I find it builds family unity and curiosity.
Quiet school is unpopular, but perhaps even more important. Each child is responsible for their own work during quiet school. We purchased Switched On Schoolhouse for the older children to work through, and Horizons for the younger children. Switched on Schoolhouse asks very little of me as the teacher. Plug it in and set the kids to work. I grade a few written problems and make sure that assignments are completed on time, but that's all. Horizons requires a little more of me, but with the younger children I don't expect anything else. This part of the day is actually the most demanding. It demands restraint on my part. I have to let them choose how they manage their time. I do have to spend a great deal of energy refusing to accept unfinished work, or dawdling, but I'm starting to see the pay off in my oldest. She cruises through her full workload in an hour or two. She knows how to complete tasks she may not find appealing in a timely manner, and if she's curious about a subject she knows how to go about studying the subject on her own.
By setting the system up in this manner, I ensure that most subjects receive double coverage, and that the kids develop different skills and work habits. The day is long compared with many homeschooling families, and perhaps even with the schools. I'm not as fond of that. I wish that we didn't have to invest so much time in quiet school, but until the others develop the oldest's maturity I'll just have to be patient. The anastomoses also eases my anxiety that perhaps the kids are missing out academically because they are learning at home. They may be missing other things that I enjoyed about a school experience, but I think that academically the education they are receiving is as sound as the one I received. Overall, I'd recommend our scheme to other homeschoolers. I don't think it's required. There are lots of other ways to meet the goals I've mentioned, but this system does work well for us. It may be just the thing for you.

No comments: