Thursday, March 16, 2006

Campaign Finance Requirements

Politics is an interest I like to deny having. I like to pretend I don't watch the Sunday morning shows whenever possible. I like to pretend that I buzz by C-Span like everybody else, but the truth is I don't. I get stuck, even when it's just a roll call. I grew up near the capitol and beltway gossip still appeals to me. I need to know what those politicoes are up to these days. Lately, campaign finance reform has captured my attention. "Money is speech" is a powerful argument, and I agree with it, but money is controlled by the few. Being rich shouldn't be a political amplifier if things were as they should be. Things being what they are, we need to look at the problem from a new angle. Rather than legislating the budget, we should legislate the campaign agenda. We should make required debates and appearances the bulk of the campaign season. Think of it like figure skating; there's the compulsory round and the free-style.

If I were drafting the legislation, I'd require the presidential candidates to appear at a televised interview or debate in each of the fifty states. I'd leave up to the states to determine how they would use this required time with the candidates. They could have a traditional presidential debate with questions of local interest and import or they could grill each candidate separately. They could have the governor do the questioning or a journalist or a random citizen chosen by lottery. They would be required to have the appearance broadcast to their entire population. Fifty days of the campaign, the agenda would be set, and the candidates would have to do a lot more to earn our vote than buy great ads and Hawaii would finally get to participate in the pre-election hoopla with at least a sample of the immediacy New Hampshire has created for itself. I think that this would go a long way to solving the campaign inequities of fundraising without limiting our power to express our preference with our money. Candidates may actually find fund-raising easier after touching base with supporters in every state.

Just two cents from this midwestern mom. Media is so widely available. Travel is so fast and easy. Why aren't we harnessing these resources to make candidates more immediately available to every citizen?

No comments: