Thursday, April 18, 2024

The Walking Dictionary


 The Walking Dictionary was my elementary school nickname. I did not appreciate it as much as I should have because it is unwieldy. No one said! “Hey, Walking Dictionary, come hang out with us.” the way you might say, “Specs, over here.” I have grown into it since, though by now the people who gave me the name have forgotten it. I still love words for their own sake. I especially love medieval words. They are so mellifluous. I recently found a treasure trove of medieval words in Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays. The plays are a treat in themselves. The homemade feeling of the plays takes me back to the amateur productions my church and school put on. I can imagine talking them into putting on a show from the book after I explained that it was ok that the plays aren’t Biblically accurate. I’m simply loving this book so much more than I thought I would.

New Medieval Words
selcouth/wondrous
swink/toil
losel/scoundrel
pottle/bottle
lorn/lost

No comments: