Thursday, June 09, 2022

All By Myself


 That is an empty, Double-Stuff, family-sized carton. I am proud to say I ate them all myself, and even prouder to say they were a little stale at the end! I’ve been conducting some experiments in changing how I eat, why I eat and eventually what I eat. I’m making progress as the surprising evidence shows. I had great ideas that I worked on periodically, but they all failed until I discovered and adopted Bullet Journaling. I will probably make a post about Bullet Journaling on its own, but for now I suggest you google it. There are great websites, You Tube videos and books—particularly those by Ryder Carrol who invented the whole thing.

Bullet Journaling made my behavior patterns visible, measurable and changeable. I have markers and stickers and a list of rewards I hope to earn with my new behavior, but my favorite change is wearing a new size. Oreos were a good place to study my eating habits because they are so deeply engrained and touch so many aspects of my life. Before I couldn’t leave a box of Oreos alone. They are tied to so many little moments of happiness that letting them pass or not fully enjoying them was very difficult. The more I am learning about what reasonable calorie choices are the more I am happy with two Oreos instead of the perfect four. My kids might trash a box in a few hours, but Nabisco will make more. I do think realizing that this was not the last Oreo I was ever going to eat makes not eating Oreos easier. These are some of the little lessons that are changing my thinking. It’s good to say “to a reasonable level” instead of “no” or “yes”.

No comments: