Monday, January 27, 2014

In Bed.

Adding the phrase "in bed" to the fortune in a fortune cookie is one of my husband's favorite games.  I like to work in bed.  I like nice squishy surfaces, and our king mattress offers lots of room to spread out.  It also insures nightly cleanup as sleeping under books and papers is only appealing in college.  I have a desk that I love and work at occasionally, but a big project or a new project will almost always find me in bed.
Thanks to the snow day, my bed was covered in books, papers, pens, highlighters, my writer's desk, my iPad, and some Smurfs.  I was working out the literature class I hope to teach next year.  Selecting appropriate and interesting works turned out to be way more challenging than expected.  I thought I'd split the day with "A Taste of Redwall."  Thankfully we have another snow day tomorrow, because the following short list took me all day.

Crowhook Literature List for the Middle Ages
(I know the dates aren't accurate.)

525 Boethius The Consolation of Philosophy
529 St. Benedict The Rule of St. Benedict
660 Caedmon Caedmon's Hymn
731 Venerable Bede An Ecclesiastical History of the English People
975 unknown Beowulf
1140 unknown Song of Roland
1150 St. Hildegaard Physica
1175 Ibn Jubayr The Travels of Ibn Jubayr
1274 St. Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica
1317 Dante The Divine Comedy
1320 Marco Polo The Travels of Marco Polo
1370 William Langland Piers Plowman
1385 unknown Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
1405 Christine de Pizan The Book of the City of Ladies
The Book of Deeds of Arms and Chivalry
1500 Machiavelli The Prince
1516 Thomas More Utopia
1563 Montaigne Essays
1588 St. Teresa of Avila The Interior Castle
1605 Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Good things come to those who think

No comments: