Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Spaced



The National Air and Space Museum is the museum I know best.  Every time we came to DC when I was a kid we stopped there.  When I was older my job as a day camp counselor required me to chaperone fifteen, four and five year olds throughout the building every summer.  Kurt and I came here when we were dating.  It is a place that stirs a deep nostalgia.  Watching my own kids dashing about from exhibit to exhibit, I remembered how crazy it was with my little campers, and I felt over-prepared for this moment.  We did very well, until we left.  The door closed behind me and I did a head count and Iris was missing.  Kurt took charge while I jumped through security hoops.  I looked everywhere for her neon green shirt, and finally headed to the security desk.  As soon as I opened my mouth she came dashing around the counter, and we both were close to tears.  We spent the rest of the day hand in hand, and going out again wasn't very interesting.  We'd had all the space we could handle.

No comments: