Friday, August 03, 2012

Pax Potato

There came a morning when I woke up, stepped on the scale and decided it was time to do something about that.  Like everything else there was an app for that, and I found the Livestrong Calorie Counter to be very effective and lost a nice chunk of weight.  As long as I could eat what I like, just less and less often, I coped with dieting very well.  Then I went in to see Doc and he said I really ought to be on the Low Glycemic Index Diet.
There is an app for that too.  The GI diet app helps me track the Glycemic load of all the food I eat.  It allowed me multigrain bread, sourdough bread, and reasonable quantities of pasta.  I can do that.  It's not my favorite having been raised on starch because it is tasty and affordable.  The real struggle didn't kick in until I decided to widen my research and read some books from the library.  The current book forbids potatoes, rice and bread--period.  I'm not sure I can do that.  My Irish grandfather could do things with potatoes that would make you cry.  The bowl they were served in is a hallowed family artifact. Give my mother a pound of hamburger and rice, and you'll have a feast in 30 minutes.  Bread, don't get me started on bread.  We would tease my grandmother and great-grandmother into bread wars, each trying to top the other and succeeding.  It meant fresh hot bread every day for weeks.
I feel like a snob foregoing these basic calories.  I realize it's because my doctor said so, and he's a pretty smart guy. but I can still remember the look on my soon-to-be-ex best friend's face when I failed to understand the part that Ramen noodles played in her diet.  The stupidest thing I ever saw on TV and anyone who has watched TV knows that a pretty serious insult was when Jamie Oliver tried to gross out Appalachian kids with food.  No one thought to hire a guide to local culture?  Don't get me wrong, Jamie is a pleasure to watch cook, naked or clothed, and he meant well, but  when your family has at least one living memory of hunger, you eat anything you're offered and you're trained to.  His "whazzed" up chicken nasties turned into chicken nuggets were just calories and you don't say no to calories.
I guess somehow I have to figure this out.

2 comments:

Joss said...

food, life's constant tormentor. I think in life you just have to try your best no matter what your trying to do, be it dieting, writing, singing, working or play.
cutting back is better than doing nothing at all, so I wouldnt be to hard on yourself for not giving up completely. I for one could never give up bread, I love it way to much :)

Christine Ansorge said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I can be an all or nothing person. You might be right about aiming for a more modest goal.