Monday, August 27, 2012

Desk Love

I keep trying to create a working office, and until now they've at best partially succeeded.  I needed to separate homeschooling from my other work, and that meant learning to value my other work.  After a lot of soul searching I decided I needed an adult desk where I could get things done, problem was, we had no budget.  Lucky for me, my parents have a furniture surplus at the moment and their giant pain was my giant gift.  It fits so perfectly upstairs in our bedroom that a quarter of an inch would have meant it would have had to wander the house like my other desk options.  Instead it is nestled in-between two well-stocked bookcases.  The chair was on clearance at Sam's Club and just allows me enough room to get to bed.
The desk top is huge!  I can park a filing tray and my blue thing on the left.  My backpack now has designated parking on the right.  The back has a tool caddy, a lamp and miscellaneous useful knick-knacks, especially the first owl in my new collection. 
Perfect fit is almost a theme.  I found these organizers for my pencil drawer at Staples and they are literally perfect, not a wasted centimeter.  The top right side drawer has materials for my primary project--Harriet, a.k.a. my novel.  The bottom right side drawer has storage for large materials, a filing box and two shoe boxes of useful items.
On the left, I've started with supplies in the top drawer.  My second drawer holds materials for my secondary project--A Rule of Life, a homeschool co-op class on medieval monasticism.  The bottom drawer has my stationary.
Behind the black out curtains, we have a deep window sill, perfect for these large filing boxes.  I don't have that much filing--yet.
 These were another Sam's Club find.  I'll still resort to my giant white board in the basement, but I think this is going to be a great place to do the detail work on Harriet, the characters and the world.  I hope to incorporate 3x5 cards on the bulletin board.  If it turns out I need more of one or the other I can flip the boards and change the configuration.

Sometimes the material world is quite useful to the spiritual, at least I hope that will be so.  Everything is perfect at the moment.
 

No comments: