Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Young Mycroft Holmes


Sherlock Holmes lived in our family imagination when I was a child. We read his adventures over and over, and hated it when we came to the end--again. This sparked an interest in the many different versions of Shelockian fiction that offered themselves as fix for our addiction, but nearly always fell flat. I am pleased to say one of my friends has produced an authentic version of a young Sherlock Holmes. He does so by using Mycroft as the point of view character and setting the young Sherlock the terrible task of solving his mother's murder.
Steve Poling's Mycroft is Sherlock's older brother, weighing their respective merits and ultimately loving his brother above all else. The boys' father is available in a rather cryptic manner adding another level of complexity to a difficult case. Better than all of that, the tone and pacing of the story are an accurate recreation of the original stories. The Aristotelian is priced at a very reasonable .99. If you love Sherlock Holmes, you will love this.

1 comment:

Steve Poling said...

Thank you for kind words. I wrote this story to rekindle my love of writing. I am pleased that it turned out well.

I'm working on the next installment in Mycroft's career of hiding things from his brother. Steamship to Kashmir promises to be much more steampunk than The Aristotelian.