Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nothing Fancy


One of the reasons we chose this house was that the basement would make a perfect classroom and it was for a year or two. I decorated it to the nines and we had everything from bulletin boards to computers to used school furniture. I loved it, except I didn't. Going down to the basement was always a tad discouraging. I couldn't figure it out, but I finally brought school up to the main living level and enjoyed it's windows and squishy furniture.
It was a reasonable solution, but that whole year I walked by the basement and wondered why the school mess was upstairs. After a year of thinking, I've solved the riddle. I hadn't made any place for me. Granted, I had my rocking chair--the first piece of furniture I bought myself--but that was more about the babies than it was about me. This year I took over a corner and set up an office. If there actually is a minute when they are doing their own work, I'm ready to work on my reading, my children's stories, or my novel. All the pens and stickers and stuff that I use to motivate them and check their work are in special boxes in Mom's corner where they hopefully won't get spread around and lost.
I'm enjoying a workspace that isn't tucked in with the water heater and furnace. I feel like I've brought my special interests out of a closet and made them a home. It's nothing fancy, but it's mine.

1 comment:

Jody said...

Glad to hear you have your own corner now for your interests! We all need our own area.