Friday, September 10, 2010

Happy 2/5 Birthday to Harriet!


It has been a long journey. Section One is an inch or so thick. Section Two is a solid three inches, maybe more when I finish typing things up. The discoveries along the way were worth every frustrating delay to the plot. The relationship between two of the main characters has been radically intensified. Another character invented himself and is shouldering some of the darkest and brightest days in the novel. A third voted himself off of this section and onto the next. Some plot points literally caught fire. It is an awful mess, but a mess with potential. The temptation to sit down and tidy up the obvious problems is nibbling away at my inner ear, but I worry if I do there will be so many other obvious problems, I'll never move on. I've promised myself to have a complete draft that I would consider at least "good" by the time our third graduates from high-school. Eight years is probably generous, but then again my real priorities do slow down my work significantly.
Section Three feels like it will be easier to write with only four important events and fewer characters. One can always hope.

No comments: