Friday, February 06, 2009

Morning, Noon and Night

The longer I am a Catholic the more convinced I am that everyone ought to be Catholic. At the same time, I am growing more and more certain that each person's insight and beliefs should be respected. Thinking, growing and changing are God given birth rights. One of the best things about Catholicism is the plethora of modes of worship. I've always been a prayer, so I was seeking a prayer practice consonant with my faith and my limits and personality. I tried the Rosary, and while it is lovely, I've never been a big fan of repetition. I keep switching phrases around or leaving things out. My RCIA instructor had us pray the Liturgy of the Hours during the Christmas season, and I was so impressed by it. When I converted I put a breviary on my list and just this Christmas bought it.
I love it. I love praying four times a day, and being so inspired and upheld by the prayers. It gives my day shape and keeps my thoughts on the straight and narrow--or anyway closer than they would be. The joyful discipline is a blessing and I do recommend it even to my protestant friends. Most of the readings are Biblical, and the prayers are pretty straightforward. It is complicated, but I've decided to accept the imperfection of my execution and keep on trucking.
For Christmas, Kurt bought a Wii for the family and a Wii Fit for us. I didn't know what to think until I tried it. It's a hoot! No one will be surprised to find I like the boxing best. I do almost everything that the Wii Fit offers, but boxing is so satisfying. I guess my second favorite thing is Yoga. For years I resisted Yoga, but when the St. Pat's offered class right around the corner I decided I could give it a try. Yoga is really fun. I'm hoping they come out with another Wii Fit game with a more extensive set of poses. I needed a new gimic that didn't require doing something without the kids. This is perfect for a busy mom.
On the day I turned eighteen, my future husband gave me this Pooh Bear. He's been keeping me company at night ever since. The original idea was that Kurt would replace him, but it turns out there isn't much we can do about his being a night owl and my being a morning lark. Pooh Bear doesn't seem to mind, though he did go AWOL for a while recently. I brought out the Dread Bunny Roberts just in case. After taking the entire bed apart he turned up, no worse for the wear.

No comments: