Saturday, January 24, 2009

I love children.

The one thing the homeschooling co-op has reminded me of is how much I love children. You would think that taking care of six of them all day long every day would reinforce this more clearly, but the dailiness of it is hard to overcome. The first session of group, I sent mine off to their classes and I went to my assignment and the relief to not be teaching was wonderful. But by the middle of the session I'd begun to memorize names and preferences. I was planning for how this problem or difficulty could be overcome. I was thoroughly enjoying all those kids--even my own in a newly refreshed way.
It's even more pronounced this session. I'm teaching two hours of preschool, and the kids are such fun. I'd begun to think of my retirement as a mixture of helping my kids with theirs, writing and taking as many classes as those two things would allow. Maybe not. Maybe I'll keep teaching at the elementary school level. I've found that people are their most authentic selves before they become aware of it. I've been hunting up my students on facebook, and they are just the same as they were in my classroom only freer and stronger. It's an honor to work with kids.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I love children too. :-)

That's neat that you've reconnected with former students on Facebook. I haven't reconnected with any back from my days as a teacher, but I have reconnected with several from my days as a principal.

I am impressed you are already thinking about what you'll do after retirement. Wow. I haven't thought about that yet! :-)

Christine Ansorge said...

Life planning is my favorite hobby, so far I'm right on schedule. :)