Saturday, December 13, 2008

Reading List

One of the things I love most about vacation is I usually get a day or two to relax and read. I go up to my bedroom and lock the door, and Kurt takes over the kids. This is the first year I've decided to draw up a reading list. The other years it was usually Harry Potter. Not so this year.
My friend, Heather Bowman, reminded me of a great book we read as girls, Jackaroo. It's basically a female Robin Hood. When I looked it up on line I found out it was now a series, so Cynthia Voight's Kingdom series is on the list for light reading.
Kierkegaard's Purity of Heart gets dragged everywhere and never finished. I am going to finish it! I will. I will. I will!
I have been saving Flannery O'Connor's work for years. She's never going to write any more. She doesn't have exhaustive files for her non-existant children to edit. There are only so many Flannery moments left in my life. I feel like it's finally time to read Wise Blood. I'm sad about it because once I'm done I'm done. I may wimp out and set it aside for another Christmas, but I do feel it's time to beef up her influence on my novel.
This last book I read every day. It is a beautiful fusion of faith and art. The entire calendar of saint's feast days is represented and accompanied by beautiful art. It's a wonderful book and a great gift idea.

No comments: