Monday, December 22, 2008

Anyone missing some snow?

Because I think we found it, and I'd be glad to send it back. Last year was the worst snow year in all the years I've lived in Michigan. I thought sure we'd be getting back to those nice mild winters that made the snow mobile jockeys think about moving on to Alaska. Instead we have just been dumped on with such ferocity I have begun to give up hope.
It's not so bad except for the cabin fever. I can keep busy with kids and work and books, but there comes a point where they can't be kept busy. They need to get out, and I need to get to my meetings. Hopefully the homeschooling co-op will ease their loneliness, and we've made some new friends who are close enough to risk travel for. It's nice to finally be settling in.
I'll be spending part of today checking out our snow gear. They've already been out to play but at this point I don't know whose snow boots are pinching and which snow pants are too short. Coats we seem to be all set, but waterproof gloves and mittens took a beating last year. The hot chocolate is laid in, but it's also been very popular. I'll need to see if we have enough to get through the holidays. I guess I'll have to make peace with the snow. It is beautiful to watch. I never struggle with SAD because it's all a painting to me. Whatever light or color the artist chooses I enjoy it. As art snow is quite lovely. Stepping into the painting though immediately changes my feeling. I hate to be cold. I get dizzy and my ears burn. I've bought gear to cope with it all, but who wants to spend all that time putting on layers and layers of clothes? I'll have to find a way to enjoy the snow. Life is too short to be grumpy with weather.

No comments: