Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Mask of the Red Death

Ok, so it isn't your typical Christmas reference, but it does make for a funny Christmas tale--if you're Irish. Every year we get everyone together, all of my family and all of Kurt's family, for Christmas. We can do this because my sister married Kurt's brother. It simplifies everything and we've all learned so much from each other. This year we learned the cost of togetherness. My niece and nephew both had the flu--again, and after everyone deliberated we decided to risk it. I don't regret the decision. Christmas wouldn't have been the same without them, and I don't think I own much of anything that hasn't been barfed on before and probably will be again. The unexpected thing was that so many of the rest of us--who were supposed to be immune due to an earlier round of the flu--caught it. My poor parents had to spend an extra day before they felt well enough to drive home.
You'd think it'd be a real buzz killer, but actually, being Irish on my side and good natured on Kurt's side, we had a good time around it, through it, and even at moments because of it. We had withdrawn from the world into our clan, and we proudly added Mary's new husband Dan and his three daughters. Fortunately they escaped the flu, and the oldest set a Wii hula hoop record no one believes will be broken any time soon. I cooked Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Risotto and another night was a bunch of seafood, some from scratch and some from the freezer section at Sam's. Almost all the adults and the older kids stayed up until midnight and beyond to play Balderdash. The younger children quietly stayed up until their parents busted them and separated them to various regions around the house. Mom Vi made her pies. My mom brought her biscuits and Wreath Bread. Every moment was a blessing.
Our Christmas gathering grows more and more important to me every year. It's a benchmark where if you haven't connected with someone by Christmas, you know you'll get the scoop then. It also provides me with a great opportunity to cook and to cook things I'd never otherwise have the chance to try. It's worth braving the stomach flu for.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Last year we had a similar experience although not the stomach flu in particular but a few of the kids brought a bug to the Christmas gathering which then spread throughout the rest of the family. You are right though that it's worth it! Glad you guys had a nice Christmas and I hope you are all feeling better ASAP! Happy New Year!