Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Obsessed with the Sixties

It's research, honest! The whole reason I'm almost exclusively listening to the Oldies station, looking up obscure facts about the various political events and movements, the reason my wardrobe is moving in a Bohemian direction is all research. I've not really fallen in love with the time period that destroyed civilization as we know it. I'm not finally conceding that the Beatles might have had something. I haven't given in and embraced the brash exploration of what the best life is by crazy young adults for whom very little was out of bounds. OK, I still have a lot of bounds. Bounds are my life, but studying other people's courage is almost as good.
The more I work on this book the more I realize research is going to be critical to it's success. I'm going to need to spend a week in Chattanooga, another in New York City and at least a few days in Boston. I can get enough for this first draft off the internet, but once I've committed to the events I select from the rather over written manuscript I'm creating, then I'll need hard facts and even photos. I'm not sure I can get with inserting my characters into the only historical event I want to modify by inserting my characters. Fortunately the boomers involved are still alive and B list enough that I can contact them with a reasonable assurance of success.
In any case, growing up with the certitude that the sixties were to blame for everything, it's been a lot of fun discovering the positives.

No comments: