Saturday, November 22, 2008

Netflix for the Holidays

Keeping Mum--This is rated R and deserves it, but don't let that stop the adults in your household from indulging in this witty play with the idea of Grace. It has no direct tie to Christmas, but it is so funny I can't keep mum about it. :)
Tsotsi--This would be a sophisticated albeit dark choice for an adult Christmas gathering. Not exactly It's a Wonderful Life, this meditation on redemption would inspire all kinds of interesting conversation.

Children of Heaven--This is a G rated film that children ought to see. Iranian siblings struggle to keep a lost pair of shoes from putting a further strain on an already struggling family. The ending is heartbreaking largely because of its innocence.
Babette's Feast--This is another meditation on Grace, a more conventional study than Keeping Mum, but equally interesting in its way.
Merry Christmas--Before my kids and I studied modern history I thought World War I was some kind of milder version of WWII. Now I think of it as the stupidest war in history. I'm not alone in that opinion, the soldiers in the trenches weren't all that infatuated with it either. This film celebrates the true story of the impromptu truce the soldiers themselves called on Christmas.

No comments: