Friday, July 18, 2008

I love the movies!

From the age of 5 to the age of 14 my family was prohibited from attending movies. My parents worked for a fairly conservative church and we couldn't do a number of things other families did. We missed Star Wars. We lived without all the Disney movies. We listened to other, more decadent people describe the films, and television premiers were huge. A network executive could clear the church out several minutes early by scheduling such blockbusters as Gone With the Wind and The Sound of Music.
When we found ourselves parting company with the church we'd poured our lives into for nine years, one of the few bright sides was that we could finally go to the movies. I remember the moment quite clearly. We chose a smaller theater in a neglected area of town and we watched The Great Mouse Detective. Dad loaded us up with popcorn, Jr. Mints and soda pop. It was a great day. Even now I walk into a movie theater feeling proud and excited. I am a storyteller and the movies are our great medium. Sometimes I think archaeologists from the future won't even begin to understand us if they can't somehow access our films.
The kids are setting most of the agenda for our movie watching this summer. Kung Fu Panda wasn't as funny as I expected Jack Black to be, but we enjoyed it. As American Girl fans the girls and I had to see Kit Kitteredge. We plan to see Wall E, but the family reviews have been mixed, so we haven't been in a rush. I saw Meet Dave, and was disappointed. Kurt and I really enjoyed Hancock. We all saw Prince Caspian the first Saturday it was out, and loved it. Sometime this summer we'll have to do the drive-in experience. There really isn't anything like it.

No comments: