Monday, July 07, 2008

Chemistry

Next year's curriculum is giving me some grief. This is the first year that has me feeling apprehensive, and the main cause is chemistry. I was unable to make any sense of the discipline throughout my school years, and now I need to find a way to make it understandable for my kids. All the other subjects I not only feel good about teaching I'm actually excited about teaching. We'll be doing medieval history, writing, spelling, math. All of these things I'm confident that I know enough to do a good job. Chemistry, not so much.
The good news is, this is just a let's get acquainted year. Our oldest is still too young to take a real chemistry class, so I just need to wet the appetite and introduce the fundamentals. I've got the Teaching Company videos and a high school chemistry book I happened upon in the library's resale book room. These will get me started. I've found some interesting chemistry curriculum online, but I'm not sure it's what we're looking for.
Homeschooling is often just as educational for the parents as it is for the children.

No comments: