Saturday, March 01, 2008

It all started with the hats

This summer's theme is going to be Simple! Simple! Simple! With a new baby to tote around, I'm going to be taking every shortcut I know and inventing some new ones. Keeping track of the kids when we're running to classes or going on field trips is important, and sometimes difficult as there are five of them and only one or two of us. I like to give the kids some freedom to explore such exciting environments as museums, but the constant echo-location and head-counting takes some of the joy out of the trip for me. One great thing we borrowed from my day camp days is matching shirts. Last year, Kurt had brought home bright yellow shirts from Sweden, and they made museum trips much easier. This year I want to bring that simplicity to every day.
We get the Oriental Trading Company catalog because I used to be a teacher, but I didn't really order much until we started making such a big deal out of Christmas Eve. Other than Christmas, I usually hand the catalog over to the kids and they enjoy all the crazy stuff and cut it up for pictures. This year, I went looking for hats. Hats don't have to be washed, and they are easy to spot. My first choice was some cute little ducks, but my oldest flatly professed she'd rather be dead than seen in that hat. After much searching and debating we found a set of monkey hats that come in six colors, and everyone agreed that they'd make for a fun summer.
The hats got me thinking. If everyone is going to have a specific color this year.... Soon we had coordinating water bottles, magnets, and some secret treats I'll set aside to liven up long trips and other hazards of the summer. Then came the next big thought. What if I bought them T-shirts in the co-ordinating colors of their hats? Bought in bulk the shirts would be very inexpensive and I'd have an easy time managing laundry all summer. The kids would be even easier to spot, and getting out the door for swim class would be fast. I brought the idea up with fear and trembling, expecting my oldest to veto, but instead they all think it's great.
I found a bulk T-shirt site on line, and I think I'll get some Bermuda shorts from French Toast. With the usual crop of cut-offs from the winter, we should be able to deck everybody out for next to nothing, and have one of the easiest and hopefully happiest summers on record.
Now, if only I could find cute little monkey appliques for the shorts.... :)

1 comment:

Mea Ansorge said...

Fear and trembling?! you have no idea how much we like to match mom!