Thursday, March 01, 2007

Throwing It Out

I think it started with the Herb Window. I emptied it of all the mismatched pots and boxes and the carcases of dead plants they contained. I'd seen a display of classic terracotta pots at Meijer, so I bought ten of them and I've been filling them with herbs as I scrounge up the plants at this time of year. The uniformity of the pots and the freshness of the herbs lifted my spirits dramatically. It was the beginning of something big.
Ever since I've been going through cupboards and drawers and throwing out anything I don't need right now, or that simply doesn't do its job well. Bags and bags of trash and donations are making their way to the curb or the van. This house really rewards any effort to smarten it up. Ten little pots in the window renewed the entire kitchen.
This is a new thing for me. I generally try to recycle everything even if the result is inefficient and ugly. Recently though, I've had a new confidence that I know what I need and what I don't. Minimalism is my new watchword. The less I have, the less I have to dust.

No comments: