Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Weird Vegetable Night

I decided recently that our family has too small a vocabulary when it comes to vegetables. We needed to get out there and try something new, so I instituted "Weird Vegetable Night." I've been playing it safe so far, asparagus, brussel sprouts, zucchini, but this week it's Swiss Chard. My husband remembers it fondly from his childhood. I'd never encountered it before I joined the family, and even then, my encounters have been of the watch him eat it at his mother's house variety. Anything tastes good with garlic, right? I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mother didn't like veggies at all. :-) Her eating them required great gobs of mother guilt smothered with "doing what's good for the children." She choked down brocolli and carrots and green beans, even limas. Swiss chard wasn't in her vocab at all...along with spinach, kale, and anything green that was wilted. Her parents loved veggies. She's very glad that you have expanded her grandchildren's love for veggies.

Love,
Your Mother

Steve Poling said...

chard is nothing weird, it's just greens, like turnip or spinach or collard or even dandelion greens

If you want weird, go for okra. Just remember the slime and work with it, not against it. Use the slime as a thickening agent.

Mea Ansorge said...

What!!!!!!! slime! i hope my mom does not like idea of having okra,yuck ok we eat broccoli happily and Brussels sprouts but slime!yuck!