Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Delinski Glacier

My maiden name is Delinski. I always hoped for something simple, easy to spell like Smith or Jones, but no, I married an Ansorge. I will be doomed to spelling my name forever. Good thing he's worth it.
Anywho, my uncle has worked for the U.S. Geological Survey since before I was born. He can tell you where you can and can't put a telephone pole on almost any continent. I always loved watching him trace the lines on this light box thing that I don't even know the name of. As a reward for helping with a project mapping the Arctic, he was offered the opportunity to have a mountain named after him, but Uncle George is an original thinker. He asked to have a glacier named after him, so they did. I wasn't able to find an on-line image of the glacier, but here is a link to the Wikipedia article that will be written about it, someday.
We're famous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also a Delinski and your uncle is readily available on the internet when doing geneology research. I have not been able to make any connections to the blood line. My dad was Leo, his dad is John last living in Nebraska. It amazes me how many common names there are in the delinski families when I do the research. Good luck with the Blog.

Christine Ansorge said...

I'm not sure you'll find our family at all. My great grandfather came over and refused to speak anything but English. He had three different stories about where we came from. He wanted his children to be American and nothing else. Our knowledge about our history stops with him.