Friday, July 07, 2006

A Writer's Group

I was beginning to lose all interest in writing. Since I've decided writing deserves time and development I was looking for something to pick me up and get me going again. A note in the newspaper described a promising writing group, so I packed myself up and went. It was terrific. The writing was interesting. The participants tough, but fair and always kind. I felt at home the minute I sat down, but.... This is the thing with me, I always choose the difficult way to do things. The group meets a half an hour's drive, one-way, from my home. I have to take a medicine that acts on me like a sedative at just about the time the meeting gets out. Finally, it's in a very urban environment. I wish I knew why I did this. I know of two other writing groups, one of which meets within walking distance from my home. I've written both off. Am I stubborn about my standards, looking for excuses so I don't have to keep at it, or just prone to wander? I know not. Hopefully, something will work out. This group gave me a glimpse of what a good thing a serious writing group can be.

No comments: