Sunday, April 23, 2006

Dali Painted My Day

This is severely edited. I simply can't share all of that, it's too personal, but I can give you glimpses.

Charles D'Ambrosio
is ambrosia. I haven't read him, but I think it's safe to predict that I will have read everything of his soon. His speaking meant so much that I found the courage to offer him an origami square, after all he's familiar with people like me.

Marilyn Robinson
told me that I'm trying to distill my soul into words. She said that I shouldn't settle for being successful. She gave me permission to aim higher. Marilyn, if you read this, here's your gray origami square.

Debbie Blue pastored me. I've never had a woman pastor before, and I must say it's making me question my orientation. I just kept crying. A librarian sitting next to me was a great comfort.

For lunch, Molly Wolf(thanks for the dandelion) and Allison met me for a therapeutic catharthis involving knitting, which they may have succeeded in convincing me I ought to take up. I hope they won't mind teaching me. Every knitter must choose their own skein.

This next bit is sacred, so you'll have to excuse me if I leave you out. My mother said that whatever scares you is what you should run right toward, and I ran right toward Three Italian Women. I think getting published might be next.

Then I went to After the Feast for dessert, and Joan told me one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since she got it from God. He has such a grand sense of humor. Joan got more than an origami square out of me. She got my work.

Thank you, Walter, for your blessing and your admonitions and your grandfatherly love. It will stay with me for the rest of my life. It has cemented my shape.

Then I came home, and Kurt embraced me and filled me with stories about my children. I don't think I've ever been happier.

Thank you to the Festival Commitee and to all the people who made the festival possible. Even those of you who kept the bathrooms sparkling had an impact on my pleasure and peace. I needed all of you, and I thank you for lending yourselves to God on my behalf. See you next time.

I tend to put the most important things in Post Scripts. To the young gentleman who was assisting Michael Card. You were God's messenger to me. You said "Value yourself." You said it in my native tongue. Thank you.

No comments: