Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Countdown to the Festival

Only two days until I head out to the Festival of Faith and Writing. An inveterate planner such as myself surely has a checklist of necessities you say, so glad you asked.

A giant tote bag--to schlep home all those books. Mine has a special compartment to keep snacks and water cool and refreshing.

A tiny umbrella--Rain is predicted. I'm rather bummed, and a tad anxious. I chose the umbrella because the festival requires an unbelievable amount of walking. I tried to plan the contents of my tote bag in the same spirit of a backpacking expedition.

Business cards--you can't beat free! Thanks, Vista Print. I love those guys.

Bottled Water--This was controversial. On the one hand they offer it free as a perk in the Prince Center, and it's heavy. On the other hand I found myself stuck without some and I dislike water fountains. For some reason they are always in bad repair.

Bandaids--I learned last year that while my shoes are adequate for running errands comfortably they can't stand up to all that walking on Calvin's campus. No more blisters for me.

Cute clothes--I hit the sale racks hard. I found some darling stuff, including this ruby-coral jacket with three-quarter length sleeves and a cut straight out of the fifties. I'm wearing it with darling little khaki capris and a white tank if you're going to be looking for me the first day.

A notebook--I don't think I've gone much of anywhere without a blank notebook since my first little composition book bought for me by desperate parents on a long drive from Michigan to Maryland.

Comfortable shoes--I may even go with my sandals if it's warm enough. Don't think that just because they are comfortable I've sacrificed fashion--oh no, I love shoes.

Cute haircut--provided by Janis, styled by me. Janis did a fabulous job (if you live in the area and need a master stylist, call me), my only concern is that I don't seem to be able to style it with the same oomph she gives it. Hair isn't my gift.

An open heart--well, why wouldn't I? The people at Calvin have been nothing but lovely, and last time was one of the highlights of my life.

I hope you have something equally exciting to look forward to. If not, feel free to borrow my experience. I'll be posting all the juicy bits, and think of all the shopping it's saving you! I know I've had some great vicarious adventures wandering around these blogs; it's time for me to give back to the blogging community.

Blessings!

No comments: