Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Aurora

Quietly resting under a shade tree
Knowing the voices will whisper away.
Straining and struggling to hold the last phrases
Refusing to see the end of today

Where is tomorrow, shining and hopeful?
What keeps the fingers of daybreak close furled?
A girl resting quietly under a shade tree
Listening to voices gone from the world

Let go of today so tomorrow may brighten
The darkness of sorrow, the depths of within
Reach out to take hold of the morning's bright birthing.
New life is stirring beneath the taut skin.





*****I recognize this poem is a bit of fridge art, but it is my first little adult poem. I wrote it to celebrate the easing of my grief over my grandmother's death through the joy of my daughter's birth. I play around with the idea of rewriting it, but it holds a memory I'm not in a hurry to let go of.*****

No comments: